Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Tío Louie Reporta: Countdown to Cannes– 7 DAYS OF 7 NY LATINOS AT CANNES 2015 (Part 5)

HOLA is proud to present Tío Louie Reporta, where filmmaker and Executive Producer of Prime Latino Media, Louis Perego Moreno (also known as Tío Louie) interviews actors and multimedia-makers in the business.
Something is abuzz. With internationally acclaimed Latinos winning Academy Awards for Best Director two consecutive years, PRIME LATINO MEDIA is proud to announce that seven talented and accomplished Latino multimedia-makers and actors from the familia are climbing up the career ladder in a short film at the Cannes Film Festival from May 13-24, 2015. Acceptance into the Festival de Cannes with their film will benefit from a prime viewing position within the Short Film Corner. U.S. Latinos are taking the world over by storm in media and entertainment and our New Yorkers are part of the revolution.



Countdown: Day 5 of 7
MÓNICA PALMIERI: Dating Marvin

From Guatemala to the U.S. to France, Mónica has a project going off to the Cannes Film Festival and just happens to prove– ¡Sí se puede! She’s earned her stripes, as actor-producer-director and her pearls of wisdom are pragmatic to the core as she shares, “You need to ask if you’re really in love with this project– whatever it is– before taking it on, because it’s going to be your baby.

Short Film: Dating Marvin
Producer:   Mónica Palmieri (from Guatemala)
Writer-Director:     Richard Selvi
Synopsis: A story about a boisterous hitman who falls for a baby-faced dancer, when a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse leads to a vengeful history of a lesson in love.

     •      What was your greatest take-away from working on this film? I walked away with a lot of confidence. It was the first short in which I was a lead producer with someone else that involved, comparatively speaking, a huge budget, huge crew of 40 people, special effects and a lot of equipment. It undertook all the elements of making a feature film.
     •     Your short had a strong woman in it dripping with sensuality that was dancing the pole while contending with the advances of a gangster-type character. How do you walk the fine line of objectifying women as sex kittens and portraying a woman who holds power through her sexuality? I loved the story since I first read it. I think the character is very strong and the story is about her. Her sexuality is one of the elements she utilizes as a tool to get what she wants out of life.
Mónica Palmieri, at left, with
Tío Louie and actor-filmmaker
Rosie Berrido.
    •      In your journey as the young woman who came to NYC from Guatemala to become an actor and is now full head-on a producer in the USA, where are you in that journey now– in front of the camera or behind?  Hmmm… I visit that dilemma every year. A year ago when you asked me, ‘Actor or Producer?’ I said ‘Actor.’ Now I am a director-actor-producer. Acting is my passion– my baby. I love feeling someone’s life out. I feel that I still have that dream to keep on making it possible. But I don’t want to give control of that to someone else. As an actor you give those reins away. I am someone who likes to create opportunities and that’s why I started producing so I can have that control. I have learned so much about making films, myself and telling stories. I have realized in this journey now that I have made some really good films that I can be proud for having collaborated on them. I have worked with young producers to realize their films. At the beginning of 2015 I realized that I have to concentrate on directing and acting.


Louis E. Perego Moreno (Tío Louie) is President of Skyline Features, he is an interactive content producer and educator who for the past 33 years has owned a bilingual (English- and Spanish-language) multimedia and educational production company developing documentaries, television programming and advertising commercials featuring Latinos, Blacks, Women, Urban Youth and LGBT people. He is also the Executive Producer of Prime Latino Media, the largest network of Latino multimedia-makers and actors in the metropolitan New York area that gather once a month to interview proven leaders in the community.


SOCIAL MEDIA CONTACT
FACEBOOK Group: Prime Latino Media 
Twitter: @PLMSalon
Instagram: PRIME_LATINO_MEDIA

No comments: